VAT Relief for the Disabled

If you’re disabled or have a long term illness, you may be eligible for VAT relief on products designed or adapted for disabled people and are for your own personal or domestic use.

Many of our products are available for disability VAT relief and they display our VAT Relief logo in the description.

If you are eligible and do not have to pay VAT due to a disability or chronic illness, you will have the opportunity to request VAT relief at the check out process.  You must complete an eligibility declaration at checkout to declare your disability and that the product is for personal or domestic use.

How to claim VAT relief at checkout

When reviewing your basket, any items that are eligible for VAT relief will display a tick box "TICK THIS BOX IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO CLAIM VAT RELIEF”. As part of the check out process, you will then be required to complete a declaration of eligibility for VAT relief.  VAT will then be removed for that product and you can complete payment.

Which products are eligible?

Eligible products are designed solely for disabled people to meet the needs of people with a disability or chronic illness. They do not include general purpose products that are used by both disabled and non-disabled people, such as a standard lever tap or shower head. The design and original intention of the product must be for sole use of a disabled person.

Do you qualify for VAT-free goods?

You can only be eligible for VAT relief if you are disabled or chronically ill.  You do not need to be registered disabled to claim VAT relief.  For VAT purposes, a chronically sick or disabled person is someone who has a physical or mental impairment which has a long term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to perform everyday activities and/or a condition a doctor treats as a chronic sickness and long term health condition.  This does not include someone who is temporarily disabled or incapacitated, eg a broken limb. If you are in doubt as to whether you are eligible for VAT relief it is advised to speak to your doctor or medical advisor.

If you would like more information about benefits and financial support for the disabled or a health condition please visit the government website